(Baraboo, WI) — Workshop: Not Your Average Doll
A THREADED STREAMS FIBER ARTS TRAIL WEEKEND WORKSHOP
Class description: In this class you will create a one-of-a-kind doll that you (yes you!) have designed. You are not expected to have a doll design in mind before you arrive at class (though it is fine if you do) as I will provide plenty of inspiration from the doll samples, visuals and ideas I will bring. Maybe you will want to make a funny little monster. Or maybe you’d like to create a more sophisticated, or abstract art doll. You choose and I’ll guide you as you create the doll of your dreams. I’ll bring plenty of scratch paper so that you can sketch out your ideas, then we’ll bring your design to life.
I will demonstrate and teach various techniques including:
* Face making approaches – sculpting with fabric, stamping, painting, stitching, paper clay sculpting
* Creating bodies – making fabric stuffed bodies, weighted, designed to hang, sit or stand, how to create and add arms, legs, hands and feet with fabric or other materials
* Personalizing your doll– using charms, words, jewelry, old mementos, secret messages, stamped phrases, memorabilia
* Dressing your doll – using old bits and pieces of recycled fabrics, laces, ripped silks, ribbons, bits of wool, scraps from nature, dyed fabrics … the options are endless
* Putting hair on your doll – using yarns, roving, raffia, ripped fabrics, shredded paper, or whatever you wish
* Adding special touches – creating funny hats, wraps, secret pouches, etc.
What you need to bring to class: Your imagination, your sense of humor, your creative urge, your willingness to just create, an agreement that the word “perfect” will be forbidden on class day, an appreciation of quirkiness, nimble hands and of course – your own favorite scissors. You can also bring any special bits you’d like to incorporate into your doll – jewelry, charms, old clothing, little photos, or whatever sings to you. (If you want to bring a sewing machine you certainly may.)
What I will bring to class: Stuffing, fabrics, laces, threads, yarns, paints, markers, sewing machine (but we’ll be doing lots of hand stitching instead of machine stitching), samples of dolls and some already created doll elements. I will also bring energy, fun, and anything and everything else you need to create your own doll.
Instructor: Jeanne Weymouth