Here’s one from me: this is the year of knitting sweaters. At least that’s my plan! I have some beautiful fiber just waiting for me to give it a purpose. My first finished object under the new plan. The pattern is top down with a lace motif across the yoke. And, oh joy! no seams. The fiber is Kraemer 60% NZ wool/40% US domestic single ply. 3.0 st/in on 10.75 needles. The clasps are easily found at Hancock Fabrics. I added velveteen ribbon up the button bands and around the neck for stability.


Actually this sweater almost didn’t happen. I put in some volunteer hours at The Shepherdess Naturals yarn shop in Anoka, MN last spring which gave me plenty of time to get acquainted with the stock. I saw it tucked in with the other wools sort of at the bottom of the cubes. The color is Bing Cherry; really dark burgundy with a little black mixed in. Plus, it’s a big thick single ply which reminded me of all those Icelandic sweaters to which I’m drawn. I kept watch until last summer when I noticed it was gone. Panicked, I asked Kathy if it sold and she said she was thinking about knitting something out of it, but if I wanted it I could buy it instead. I bought it all—in fact there is so much yardage, I could make two of this sweater.


It’s the age old knitters’ dilemma. Now that I have the yarn, where is the pattern? After a slow page-turn through my knitting books, and many hours cruising Ravelry, I finally found the right pattern for the job. The photograph is rather unassuming but showed me the pertinent details. It’s knit from the top down with a yoke, had a couple of options for neckline, cuffs, bottom and button bands but most of all, the pattern and yarn gauges matched.  I knew I had plenty of yarn.  It has that wonderful vintage Nordic feel about it.  Apres ski?


This is one thing I know about myself. While I love the idea of making up my own patterns, if I really want to put down some knitting, I need a pattern.  That’s not to say that I don’t make adjustments and changes along the way to improve what I’m working toward, but if the there are too many options, I don’t accomplish much.  I know I’m not alone in that.


I did rip it back a couple of times when I didn’t get the increases exactly matched in the front.  The pattern is accurate but I liked it better with two less increases in the front.  And I did knit one row in the lace yoke twice and while it looked okay, as it was symmetrical, it wasn’t supposed to be there, so it came out, too.


The clasps were found at Hancock Fabrics in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I was with my step mom who is sort of a clothes horse and is very picky about trim.  The button bands and neck are trimmed with velveteen ribbing that’s the same shade of color as the yarn.  I’ve worn the sweater over a cashmere t neck and surprisingly enough the trim is fiber free.

Thanks for reading about my sweater.  Stay warm!